I Ching Astrology Principal Star
9 Star Ki can be used as a system to analyse people, timing and directions. The system uses your date of birth to calculate three numbers that represent who you are.
Principal Star: Your Persona
This article looks at the year calculation, known as the principal star. This is the first star out of three. This is your main personality, your natural self, the core of your being, your essence, your motivation and what gives you momentum. You can calculate your principal star using this method.
1 Water Star
Years 1918, 1927, 1936, 1945, 1954, 1963, 1972, 1981, 1990, 1999, 2008, 2017, 2026, 2035
Family member Middle son
Colour Black or blue
- Deep, philosophical and reflective thinkers.
- Flexible and intelligent.
- Sociable and thoughtful.
- Good patience.
- Seeks a win win outcome.
- Seeks independence.
- Seeks social interaction as much as solitude. Must have time and space for both.
- Can appear withdrawn and disengaged.
- May find it difficult to open up to others.
- Can be secretive.
- Are happy exploring.
- Usually book worms.
2 Earth Star
Years 1926, 1935, 1944, 1953, 1962, 1971, 1980, 1989, 1998, 2007, 2016, 2025, 2034
Family member Mother
Element Earth (yin)
Direction South West
- The mother earth and feminine star.
- Nurturing, caring and supportive.
- Down to earth.
- Has a need to help.
- Has a desire for everyone to succeed.
- Thoughtful and considerate.
- Is receptive to others, new ideas and concepts.
- Seeks the good in all people.
- Seeks a vocation in life, often to serve others.
- Hard working and self sacrificing.
- Can be under acknowledged for what they give to others.
- Wear their heart on their sleeve.
- Male 2 stars can be very anal.
- Female 2 stars are beautiful in appearance.
3 Wood Star
Years 1925, 1934, 1943, 1952, 1961, 1970, 1979, 1988, 1997, 2006, 2015, 2024, 2033
Family member Eldest Son
Element Wood (yang)
Colour Bright Green
- Must be on the go all of the time.
- Likes to do plenty of varied activities.
- Youthful, inpatient, reckless, rash.
- Good stamina, drive and momentum.
- Assertive and straight forward.
- Tends to speak freely without thought, can alienate others from this.
- Creative thinker.
- Likes to initiate projects.
- Dislikes finishing projects.
- Easy to excite.
- Can be self centred.
- Can be easily bored if not stimulated.
- Can become ungrounded and burn out.
- Very resilient and get back up from setups easily.
4 Wood Star
Years 1924, 1933, 1942, 1951, 1960, 1969, 1978, 1987, 1996, 2005, 2014, 2023, 2032
Family member Eldest Daughter
Element Wood (yin)
Direction South East
- Similar to the 3 wood star, with a much softer, calmer and flexible approach.
- Gentle and kind.
- Sensitive to people and their environment.
- Likes to care for others.
- Stubborn and slow to progress/move.
- Can be too trusting and naive.
- Can be influenced by others, can be influential.
- Can appear too laid back.
- Can be a people pleaser.
- Observers, they use their eyes to listen.
- Can be overlooked as a person.
- Beautiful eyes.
- May have difficulty making decisions.
5 Earth Star
Years 1923, 1932, 1941, 1950, 1959, 1968, 1977, 1986, 1995, 2004, 2013, 2022, 2031
Trigram None – The centre T’ai Chi
Symbolism The centre
Family member None
- Thoughtful, caring and warm.
- Intelligent and dominant.
- Seeks to be in authority.
- Likes to be the one to start and finish.
- Strong and responsible character.
- Can maintain a good single point of focus.
- Can influence other people.
- Good at taking care of other people.
- Can be pushy, demanding, controlling and destructive.
- Can be a chameleon, good for networking.
6 Metal Star
Years 1922, 1931, 1940, 1949, 1958, 1967, 1976, 1985, 1994, 2003, 2012, 2021, 2030
Family member Father
Element Metal (yang)
Colour White or metallic
Direction North West
- The alpha male star.
- Leaders, stoic and powerful.
- Stands up for authority.
- Hard worker, committed, reliable and loyal.
- Organised, pragmatic and logical.
- Considerate and fair.
- Has high morals and principles.
- Literal in thinking and speech.
- Good communicators.
- Practical and straight forward.
- Good at seeing projects through to completion.
- Straight talkers.
- Can be self-righteous, rigid and inflexible.
- Male 6 stars are comfortable in their own skin.
- Female 6 stars may display masculine characteristics.
- Black and white thinking.
- Has the last word.
7 Metal Star
Years 1921, 1930, 1939, 1948, 1957, 1966, 1975, 1984, 1993, 2002, 2011, 2020, 2029
Family member Youngest Daughter
Element Metal (yin)
- Similar to the 6 metal star, with a much softer and flexible approach.
- Enjoys life to the full with a cheery persona.
- Good communicator and negotiator.
- Good listeners.
- Likes to talk and can chat for hours.
- Seeks independence.
- Can be very charming, playful and fun to be around.
- Humorous and witty.
- Can be easily bored.
- Under pressure, moves away from a situation quickly.
- Quick to quit or give up.
- Can be irresponsible.
- Good style sense.
- Good eye for colour and textures.
- Sometimes not taken seriously.
8 Earth Star
Years 1920, 1929, 1938, 1947, 1956, 1965, 1974, 1983, 1992, 2001, 2010, 2019, 2028
Family member Youngest Son
Element Earth (yang)
Direction North East
- Seeks independence and self sufficient.
- Protective, standing up for justice and fairness.
- Knowledgeable and wise.
- Hard worker.
- Must do things their way, often seeking the hard way.
- Strong family values.
- Strong character.
- Can be stubborn and inflexible.
- Perfectionist and single minded.
- Likes to have space from others.
- Can appear to be moody.
- Can be in-communicative and withdraw from speech and people.
- Slow to progress/move.
- When the mountain star is under pressure they can erupt like a volcano.
- Will speak their mind.
9 Fire Star
Years 1919, 1928, 1937, 1946, 1955, 1964, 1973, 1982, 1991, 2000, 2009, 2018, 2027Li
Family member Middle daughter
- Illuminating, warm and light.
- Can be the centre of attention in a room.
- Inspiring, fun, spirited, energetic, intelligent.
- Their light can draw attention and draws others to them.
- Insight, clarity and vision.
- Creative artistically.
- The light/fire can be hard to sustain.
- The light/fire can cause burn out.
- The light/fire can die out if not fed (supported).
- Can be up and down as people.
- Likes to be the centre of attention.
- Sometimes unable to commit.
- Likes to show off.
What house does your principal star reside in for 2023?
Once you know your principal star number, you can check your annual Lo Shu astrology influences, to give you an idea of what to expect for the year ahead. Each year you move into a different house on the Lo Shu square which interacts with your principal star element. An example is principal number 6 yang metal moves into the 3 yang wood house.